PEAR Group Meeting 6th September 2009
Apologies: doconnor is on holiday
- Can we get put into http://svn.php.net/viewvc/SVNROOT/global_avail
- Set goals for group for 2009 to 2010 (short, middle and long term)
- Action Items from last meeting
- New group members will catch up on content of RFC's before next meeting and will be ready to discuss or present changes.
- Group will vote on PEAR2 policy and standards RFC's at beginning of next meeting.
- Other RFC's will be discussed in detail during next meeting.
Goals for This Year
- Short term
- getting outstanding RFC's ratified and voted on
- TODO: Are there any left to do this for? (naming standards, class naming, exception policy) ?
- Mid term
- stable PEAR2/Pyrus release
- attracting new developers to PEAR2
- Long term
- get active maintainers of quality PEAR1 packages to port them to PEAR2
- Brett Bieber (saltybeagle)
- Mike Gauthier (gauthierm)
- Chuck Burges (ashnazg)
- Bill Shupp (shupp)
- Ken Guest (radagast)
Chuck called the meeting to order shortly after 14:00 UTC.
Bill logged the IRC content for absent members.
Mike compiled minutes.
Followup from Last Meeting on 2009-08-16
- See the 2009-08-16 meeting's minutes
- Bill got the 'pear' twitter account
- Bill created a cron job that puts PEAR package releases on Twitter
- Cron job is in the pearweb/trunk/cron/rss-to-twitter.php
- Cron is currently on Bill's laptop
- Bill reports that Digg does not have spare design resources to give to PEAR.
- Chuck reports that Travis granted access for Chuck to the pear account on Github.
- Action Items:
- Bill will check with Brett and/or Christian to see about getting the Twitter cron running on a PEAR server.
- PEAR Group needs to be added to pear in the global_avail file so they can give SVN access to new PEAR developers
- The old PEAR Group and PEAR president currently have access
- Action items:
- Bill will ask Andrei to update the pear line in global_avail to include the group and president
- Chuck sent a patch to pear-group on September 1st to do this, patch just needs committing.
PEAR Test Server (sg1)
- The goals for sg1 are at http://wiki.php.net/systems/sg1
- The new PEAR group has been successfully testing pearweb improvements on test.pear.php.net
- No continuous integration work has been started yet
- The goal is to get phpUnderControl plugin for Cruise Control up and running
- Tests will run under separate PHP versions
- Christian is setting up a phpfarm script to automate testing under multiple PHP versions
- At some point, this will integrate with pUC
- Daniel's magic at http://www.lauken.com/doconnor/phpcs.html should move to sg1 and/or be integrated with phpUnderControl
- Once set up, developers can opt-in to phpUnderControl notifications
- Action Items:
- Chuck will start setting up phpUnderControl and Cruise Control on sg1
- Mike and Bill will assist Chuck where possible
- Mike will send a message to pear-dev after stuff is set up
Goals for 2009-2010
- Attracting new developers is going well
- We have Spreadsheet_Excell_Writer maintainers now!
- New developers need more mentoring to ensure they're following the pear guidelines
- Action Items:
- Ken will start a wiki page outlining areas where the QA-Group can improve mentoring - “Orientation for New Developers”. This will eventually go in the manual at http://pear.php.net/manual/en/developers.release.php
- Bill will put the PEAR Group goals on a separate page in the wiki
- Mike will review docbook styles for pearweb
- PEAR Group unanimously approves its use
- Unit tests should skip if Fakemail is not present
- Action Items:
- Ken will install Fakemail on sg1
- Ken will check with Christian to get sg1 shell access
- Two RFC's were discussed, PEAR2 policy and standards
- Several of the more controversial RFCs are becoming dependencies of the policy and standards RFCs
- The abandoned-alpha-package period is a bit too long (one year). Six months was suggested.
- Group agrees that power to delete an abandoned package should rest with the Group only.
- Mike had several minor comments and fixes which were emailed to pear-group for group review
- Brett was added as a sponsor to the PEAR2 policy so that a current PEAR Group member is a sponsor
- PEAR2 policy regarding including alpha packages in the channel has been superseded by Greg's RFC on versioning
- Group voted to reaffirm the PEAR2 Policies RFC until 45 days following the next Group elections. Votes were +5, 0, 0
- Group voted to reaffirm the PEAR2 Standards RFC until 45 days following the next Group elections. Votes were +5, 0, 0
- PEAR Group is going to meet in two weeks to talk about only RFCs
- Next meeting will be 2009-09-20 16:00 UTC.
pear/group/meetingagenda/20090906.txt · Last modified: 2017/09/22 13:28 (external edit)