PEAR Group Meeting 16th August 2009
- New PEAR group members training: how to apply karma, when to act, etc, quick refresher of what's expected
- Review of open, unresolved action items from previous pear group
- PEAR new developers - how do we attract them? (doconnor)
- SVN - what does it mean for new developers?
- Set goals for group for 2009 to 2010 (short, middle and long term)
- PEAR2, deployment, marketing, etc plans. (doconnor is curious about, anyone else who wants to contribute!)
- New developers (action: get to know these guys!)
- mrook (VersionControl_SVN, other packages).
- cschmitz, progi1984 (Spreadsheet_Writer_Excel)
- Miguel (HTML_Safe)
- Brett Bieber (saltybeagle)
- Mike Gauthier (gauthierm)
- Daniel O'Connor (doconnor)
- Chuck Burgess (ashnazg)
- Bill Shupp (shupp)
- Ken Guest (radagast)
Brett called meeting to order shortly after 15:00 UTC.
Bill logged meeting on IRC for absent members.
Mike compiled minutes.
Daniel had to leave after the first half-hour due to it being 3:00 AM in his time zone.
New Group Members
- The group welcomed new members for 2009-2010.
- New group members were introduced to their responsibilities
- Granting website karma was explained
- pear.dev, pear.pecl, pear.bugs were explained
- The process for getting SVN accounts for new developers was explained and how to grant SVN karma was explained.
- #php.pecl, Derick
- when granting karma, always diff before commit, always write a good commit message
- PEAR Group responsibilities page on the wiki was linked.
- Christian was elected PEAR Vice President for 2009-2010 in-absentia
- votes were +6, 0, 0
Goals for This Year
- Short term
- getting outstanding RFC's ratified and voted on
- Mid term
- stable PEAR2/Pyrus release
- attracting new developers to PEAR2
- Long term
- get active maintainers of quality PEAR1 packages to port them to PEAR2
Unresolved Issues from Last Year
- Three outstanding RFC's are awaiting Group voting
- One new RFC is awaiting a vote
- it was decided to address these RFC's first as they are non-controversial and straightforward.
- Action Items
- New group members will catch up on content of RFC's before next meeting and will be ready to discuss or present changes.
- Group will vote on PEAR2 policy and standards RFC's at beginning of next meeting.
- Other RFC's will be discussed in detail during next meeting.
Testing and Continuous Integration Server
- agenda item was mostly skipped as Christian and Daniel are not present
- QA needs to be emphasized for PEAR
- phpUnderControl is planned for sg1 for testing with multiple PHP versions
Attracting New Developers
- Community outreach via blogs, social networks, etc was suggested
- PEAR needs mention on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Group members' blogs should be on Planet PHP
- Group members should post PEAR-related posts to the shared PEAR blog.
- this will include meeting minutes, vote outcomes, security notices, etc.
- The website was mentioned as a place where PEAR could improve its appearance to attract new developers. It was suggested that the website should include tutorials and screen-casts for new developers.
- The members of the PEAR group should all use Pyrus and promote
its use to other developers.
- High-quality packages with active developers will encourage other developers to use and contribute to PEAR.
- Being friendly, timely and helpful to new developers will help retain and attract new developers. Recent technical issues caused some slow turn-around recently, but these issues have since been fixed.
- Being quick to respond to new accounts and karma requests is important.
- IRC support is being handled pretty well.
- Action items
- Bill will look into wrangling control of the pear and pear2 Twitter accounts.
- Bill will set up a Twitter account for pearphp
- Bill will ask if Digg has any design resources to give for the PEAR Website.
- David will make sure Group will be given accounts on the PEAR blog
- Group members will start using Pyrus and tell their developer friends how cool it is.
- Brett and Greg (cellog) are the only two developers working on PEAR2–they may need some help.
- website needs assistance in terms of development and design
- PEAR2 cannot launch until at least PHP 5.3.1, but the website and bug-tracking infrastructure likely won't be ready by then anyway.
- Teaser posts on Pyrus features will increase interest in PEAR2.
- Major marketing will be withheld until the stable launch of Pyrus.
- Bug Manager
- a functioning bug tracker is needed before PEAR2 can launch
- some PHP internals developers want a global bug tracker for all PHP projects
- PEAR2 developers want to build a stand-alone bug tracking package that could be used for PEAR2 and for other projects. (Bug Manager)
- either of these goals will take some time
- Action items
- Bill will look into assisting Greg with the Bug Manager package
- Christian will work on getting pearweb running on PHP 5.3.x to test the Bug Manager package with real-world data.
- Action items
- Brett will post to pear-group with a potential new time. Possibly 2-3 hours earlier as Bill doesn't mind early mornings and Daniel is 16.5 hours away.