PHP RFC: Deprecate and Remove image2wbmp()
- Version: 0.1
- Date: 2018-05-11
- Author: Christoph M. Becker, email@example.com
- Status: Under Discussion
- First Published at: http://wiki.php.net/rfc/image2wbmp
ext/gd has two functions to output WBMP 1) images:
Both are supposed to handle the necessary monochrome conversion by different means.
While the former function allows the desired foreground color to be specified, the latter
function is supposed to take a brightness threshold parameter. However, as of PHP 5.0.0 the
threshold parameter of
image2wbmp() is treated as foreground color, so both functions
are basically identical.
This pointless duplication of functionality could be resolved by fixing
according to the documentation (i.e. treat the third parameter actually as brightness treshold),
- fixing this 10+y old bug is likely to cause more harm than good
- a monochrome conversion should be a general feature of GD (or rather libgd), since it may be useful for other image formats as well (e.g. PNG)
- WBMP might be considered obsolete nowadays
Therefore, this RFC proposes to:
Backward Incompatible Changes
After the deprecation, each call to
image2wbmp() would issue a deprecated warning.
After the removal, each call to
image2wbmp() would raise a fatal error.
Proposed PHP Version(s)
Item (1) to (3) of the proposal should target next PHP 7.y (i.e. PHP 7.3), while item (4) (i.e. the actual removal) should target next PHP x (supposedly PHP 8).
Proposed Voting Choices
A single vote will be held to decide whether to implement the proposal. This vote will require a 2/3 supermajority.
Patches and Tests
I'm going to prepare a pull request for the proposed changes targeting next PHP 7.y as soon as possible.
After the project is implemented, this section should contain
- the version(s) it was merged into
- a link to the git commit(s)
- a link to the PHP manual entry for the feature
- preliminary discussion on internals