Migration to PEAR2
Swap the websites (and by extension, community) so that pear2.php.net is the way PEAR is perceived, interacted with and contributed to.
- Sudden cutover - redirect traffic to pear2.php.net; use the migration pain to inspire contributions and improved functionality.
- Phased migration - component by component swap processes such as PEPR over to feed into pear2; co-brand the pear.php.net front page experience; end of life unsupported packages.
- Change of focus - pear channel index
- Immediately achieves PEAR2 launch
- Move pear.php.net to old.pear.php.net
- Replace pear.php.net with pear2.php.net
- Create rewrite rules for old content to direct inbound traffic from 404 pages on pear.php.net to old.pear.php.net
- Add a prominent link to the old site in the header
- Represents a fork - potential for high attrition rate of developers
- Reduces capabilities (bug tracking, pepr)
- Requires high pressure/time critical investment to deal with any regression (broken main pear channel if not done right); coupled with existing community apathy
- Michael Gauthier - Design, Project Sponsor
- Brett Bieber - Developer (pear2 site), stakeholder
- Helgi Þormar Þorbjörnsson - Developer pear1 site, rewrite rules, stakeholder
- Community - UAT
- Achieves PEAR2 launch
- Lower risk than sudden cutover
- May: Tweak PEPR to be a new package process for pear2
- June: Enable both the PEAR and pyrus installer to understand “I have migrated to another channel”
- July: Kill old packages from pear.php.net. With fire. Put them in an archive channel or other location
- August: Improve the awareness of pyrus - from screencasts to tutorials to shiny visual lures.
- We have declining interaction from contributors, this requires coordination of multiple senior pear developers with karma. Historically, we've tried parts of this but have not achieved consensus or consistent effort.
- Daniel O'Connor, sponsor, developer pear1 site, pepr; archive
- Helgi Þormar Þorbjörnsson, PEAR/Pyrus channel migration functionality
- Michael Gauthier - Design, pyrus awareness
- Brett Bieber - pyrus awareness
- Community - UAT
PEAR channel aggregator
- Cleanly separates 'channel technology' from 'packages repository'
- Integrates with the wider community
- Write/Contribute to a pear channel aggregator - possibly in progress
- Make pear2 a prominent channel in the aggregator
- Make pear1 an archive channel in the aggregator
- Update the pear installer to be aware of the channel aggregator by default, rather than pear.php.net
- Relies on external parties
- Stuart Herbert - project sponsor, implementor pear channel aggregator
pear/pear2/migration.txt · Last modified: 2011/05/03 01:52 by clockwerx