This is an old revision of the document!
This year, 2009, showed we need at least the following for GSoC:
- Let all together define the goals, verify the goals, in a group and revise them where needed
- Idea proposals should be filled out in full so that goals can be concrete before we let students pick them up.
A GSoC list where students can interact with the community as not all projects fit to internals and other existing listsdone. email@example.com && http://news.php.net/php.gsoc
- A mentors list so mentors can exchange information without having to send mails with a longish CC line
- Motivate more discussion between the different projects
- Questionnaire during the application time for anything PHP specific, not everything can be handled by the generic GSoC form.
- Weekly Reports to the GSoC list so all know what's going on
- One org (don't remember which) has a nice approach sending weekly reports to the mentor only till midterm, project-wide after midterms
Links to other orgs
- Python has a nice page explaining “What we expect”, a good read, http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/Expectations
- Tor has a template for applications https://www.torproject.org/gsoc#Template
- Etherboot has an overview page on the wiki and individual project pages where the student lists useful things like timezone, weekly journal entries and any project notes. http://etherboot.org/wiki/soc/2008/start
Weekly report template
MySQL uses a template similar to the one below for the regular developers, might be a good start for us:
Subject: XXX's Weekly Report Starting 2008-..-..
< introduction >
LOGGED TIME: 40 hours (See breakdown below)
KEY GOOD VIBRATIONS
< 2-3 good vibrations >
< anything that is outside of your control and which concern you >
< if you are waiting for someone else in order to complete one or more tasks >
KEY TASKS THAT STALLED
< if something stalled that is not outside your control in and by itself, even if it was outside factors that delayed it >
< list as many things as you wish, but prioritize by putting the most important items first >
(Sprint tasks, Bug items, ...)
Day Hours ---------- ----- Monday 8 Tuesday 8 Wednesday 8 Thursday 8 Friday 8 Saturday 0 Sunday 0
< This section is optional -- list here all minor tasks that did not fit into any of the categories above. >
< The major tasks you will be doing in the next couple of weeks >