This is an old revision of the document!
HOWTO contribute to the PHP Manual
PHP is well known for having excellent documentation, documentation that is created by volunteers who collectively make changes every day. This HOWTO is designed for people who work on the official PHP documentation. See also http://www.php.net/docs for viewable and downloadable versions of the PHP manual.
This HOWTO contains information about every aspect of the documentation process, which includes editing the DocBook XML sources, validating changes made to these sources, using the build system to generate documentation into other formats, and general tips like how to use SVN.
Related to this HOWTO is the simple README file that lives within the phpdoc SVN module. It's a quick guide for those already familiar with the basics of XML and SVN.
- gettingstarted - Getting started and setup to handle the docs
- communication - How the Documentation team communicates
- docbook - Information about DocBook, which is how the sources are stored
- translations - Translation specific information
- pecldocs - PECL specific information
- faq - Frequently asked questions
- structure - Structure of the docs
- skeletons - Doc XML skeletons
- editing - Editing, validating and building the docs
Feedback is most certainly welcome on this document. Without your submissions and input, this document wouldn't exist. Please send your additions, comments and criticisms to the following email address: email@example.com.