This is an old revision of the document!
How To Create an RFC
- Register for a wiki account at https://wiki.php.net/start?do=register
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting RFC karma for your wiki account. Step 1 and 2 are only required if you don't have a VCS account for php.net, as PHP developers can already log on with their account and have the necessary wiki karma to create RFCs.
- Log in with your wiki account and navigate to a URL like https://wiki.php.net/RFC/my_RFC (use your feature name in the URL). Push the Create this page button, fill out the template and save
- Edit https://wiki.php.net/RFC and link your RFC under the appropriate status
- When you think your RFC is ready for discussion, send an email to the email@example.com mailing list introducing your RFC
- Listen to the feedback, and try to answer/resolve all questions. Update your RFC to document all the issues and discussions.
- When discussion ends (or if you really want to start the vote, and the minimal discussion period stated on https://wiki.php.net/RFC/voting#discussion_period has been reached) then you can move your RFC to Voting status. Consider whether the feature concept should be voted on before you invest time in implementation. Or perhaps an implementation is needed to show the feature is feasible; in this case make it clear whether or not the current implementation is being voted on.
- Update your RFC page to Voting status and add the doodle voting macro, for example:
<doodle title="RFC/voting" auth="user" voteType="multi" closed="false"> * Yes? * No? </doodle>
- Move your RFC on https://wiki.php.net/RFC to Voting
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with [VOTE] in the subject announcing the start of voting for your RFC (see https://wiki.php.net/RFC/voting#voting for more details). Start a new mail thread. Preferably set a deadline for voting.
- Based on the result of the votes and the discussion there are three possible outcomes:
- Your RFC is accepted, update the status of your RFC page and on https://wiki.php.net/RFC and close the voting via changing closed=“false” to closed=“true” in the voting macro.
- Your RFC is declined, update the status of your RFC page and on https://wiki.php.net/RFC and close the voting via changing closed=“false” to closed=“true” in the voting macro.
- A serious issue with your RFC needs to be addressed. Your RFC goes back to Under Discussion. Update the status of your RFC page and on https://wiki.php.net/RFC and continue from point 6.
rfc/howto.1359512062.txt.gz · Last modified: 2017/09/22 13:28 (external edit)