This is an old revision of the document!
PhD -- Building the PHP manuals of the future
PhD takes PHP Manual sources (DocBook) and outputs a beautiful manual for all to see. It's generic enough to work on non-php.net projects too.
If you have questions, add it to the FAQ.
PhD Setup (N/A)
- bunch of scripts in the scripts/ directory
PhD Build (N/A)
Replaces the `test`, `test_xml` `.manual.xml` make targets (i.e. builds the `.manual.xml` file and validates it).
PhD Renderer (Beta)
Takes the .manual.xml and generates ~6000 php files, ~6000 html files and one bightml.html file. In the future it will also generate CHM and PDF files.
Where to get
- Bugs: PhD Bugs at bugs.php.net
- PHP 5
- Translators require ngsmls currently
These are all enabled by default in PHP.
Because the builder is not done, we still use the current system to build the .manual.xml file. An example use of PhD today (See `phd -h` for more options):
NOTE: You need to install PhD first.
$ cvs -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org/repository co phpdoc $ cd phpdoc $ php configure.php $ phd -d .manual.xml
This will create
- “php” directory containing the “phpweb” files
- “html” direcotry containing the “downloadable chunked html” files
- “bightml.html” file, which is the “downloadable bightml” file
See the “Viewing the results” for various ways of viewing the rendered files.